Second grade is an exciting year in elementary education! It is the year that students begin to master all of the skills they learned in previous grades.
English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies are all a part of our daily schedule. In English Language Arts, second grade students are beginning to read more complicated texts, become fluent readers at their own levels and begin to write more complex sentences and paragraphs. In Math, second grade students are exploring numbers through place value, addition, and subtraction. By the end of the year, our students will be working on measurements, geometry, and fractions! Throughout the school year, second graders will learn about their communities, government and character traits in Social Studies, while studying the world around them in Science. A cross-curriculum approach is emphasized in an effort to support student learning as we move through each subject area.
In addition to our core curriculum, second graders have one or two special classes each day. These include Art, Music, Physical Education, and Computer. We also set aside time for recess each day so that our students may continue to build social relationships with their classmates, engage in new materials and simply let their bodies move!
Our school expectations are:
- Follow directions the first time
- Keeps hands, feet, and objects to yourself
- Use positive language such as "please", "thank you", excuse me"
- Walk in the class and school
- Raise your hand to be called on.
Second grade students are held to a high standard but are also rewarded with various forms of positive reinforcement in each classroom. Students will be engaged in learning in a fun, safe and respectful environment!
We look forward to seeing our second graders learn and grow!
Second Grade Supply List
- 2 composition notebooks
- 2 pack of black Expo dry erase markers
- 4 plastic pocket folders (1 red, 1 green, 2 blue)
- Boys: Package of 3 post-it sticky notes
- Girls = 1 box of sandwich size zip lock bags
- 4 boxes of 12, yellow #2 pencils to share
- 1 package of loose-leaf paper
- 1 package of colored pencils or crayons
- 1 box of markers
- 2 6-pack of glue sticks
- 3 packages large pink erasers
- 2 bottles, regular sized hand sanitizer
- 3 boxes, regular sized, of tissues
- 1 box of 2 gallon zip lock bags (for library take-home books)
- 1 set of earbud headphones
- Athletic Sneakers for P.E.
- Backpack (regular school size)
- Smock for Art (Optional)
Please Be Advised:
- Please do not write your child's name on anything except the backpack and sneakers. Once school begins, most supplies will become "classroom supplies" to share with all students.
- If your child has an SAS sweatshirt, please be sure his/her name is written on the tag in permanent marker
Please make sure you also have the following supplies to keep at home:
- Writing paper
- Mini pencil sharpener